Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Remembering to be Grateful, Today and Everyday. A Maine Photographer

OK, I'm taking a quick break from my normal routine to remember to be grateful...and today I am choosing to share it with you.
As I sit here typing, I'm hearing the new Pope, Pope Francis, who has just been introduced to the world for the first time, I'm hearing his words of gratefulness on the TV next to me.
Today I am grateful to have friends to share my blog with, my stories, my life.
I am grateful for my husband and my kids.  I am grateful for my dog Chloe, who still hasn't let the cute stud mount her yet.  I'm grateful for the crock pot lasagna I made this morning, so that I can work this afternoon knowing that supper is already made.

Now, here's a new one.  Something I've never really expressed gratitude for...until now.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to teach my passion of digital photography to others.  I'm teaching my third round of digital photography at the local community center.  Again, if you know me, I've expressed many times my love for Jim Carrey's movie "Yes Man" and on a few occasions I have challenged myself to say "yes" to whatever comes my way.  Last fall was one of those times, and when asked if I would teach an "introduction to your digital camera" class, I said "yes" without hesitation.  After saying yes I learned that I would have very limited resources at my disposal...basically I would have a classroom with electricity and tables and chairs.  What I didn't have was Internet or even a big screen to share info on.  It was a learning experience for both my students and myself, as I taught with very little visual aids, and I shared lots of info through emails and links after class.  When asked if I would do it again, this time with a large screen I could hook my laptop too and Internet access, I didn't even hesitate to say yes.  Now here I sit, half a year later, in the middle of my third round of classes. 

OK. I'm going to get personal.  I am insecure.  I am not a teacher.  I'm not the greatest photographer that walks the streets of Westbrook.  I do think I'm somewhat of a comedian.  I do try to follow the law of attraction and live on the "positive" side of life...however, I still am my own worst enemy when it comes to believing in myself.  I do believe one needs to step out of their comfort zone to succeed.  I do believe that everything happens for a reason.  Today I am grateful for saying "yes" last fall to teaching photography. 

So, what brought on this recent revelation? 

Her name is Elizabeth, and she was a student in my last photography class.  Elizabeth received a very nice camera for Christmas, a gift from her husband.  Elizabeth showed up at the first class carrying her new camera, still in the box it was purchased in.  She said she had no idea what to do with it.  That was then.  This past weekend I saw photos on Elizabeth's facebook page...and that's when it hit me.  I may not be the best photographer that walks the streets of Westbrook, but I do have a gift of sharing my knowledge.  Chinese Proverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
So, am I worried that I will teach you all so well that there will be no need to hire me to take photos?

"Yes"

I suppose I can just keep teaching.
I asked Elizabeth to let me share her photos.
Don't you dare ask me what kind of camera she has!
Most cameras can do the same thing...you just need to have a good teacher who will teach you how to operate it.  I will add that the "vision" and "creativity" seen in these photos is all Elizabeth's, that, I cannot take credit for!
I taught Elizabeth how to use her very nice camera...and today I am grateful  :)



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...