Thursday, March 14, 2013

Guest Blogger Today. A Maine Photographer

Today I have a guest blogger.  If you would like to guest blog for me, please drop me a line!  I have few rules.  No politics.  No swearing.  No negative talk.  Please, if you wish to share a passion with your friends and the world, send it over...I would love to be your forum and meet your friends!

Today's guest blogger is Maria Dorn.  Maria loves to express herself on facebook...so I invited her over here, giving her as much room as she wished to share her perspective and sense of humor, and of course her friends.  If you are visiting here for the first time please save this site and come back often!  (Since I am a photographer and this is my blog, I first want to note that this is not one of my photos.)
  Without further ado, here's Maria. 



We've been living in Westbrook for about 15 years. What amazed me most
about Westbrook was once we moved here, it was like we were living in
our old South Portland neighborhood growing up....our neighbors were
some of the best SoPo names....so if I thought I was moving away from
the homestead to cultivate a new image....ha! I had high school friends
on either side of me here in the 'brook. My husband and I have four
kids who we are alternately beamingly proud of or downright disgusted
with. Most of the time we think they are pretty awesome though. Our
oldest, Marty, barely graduated from WHS last year, but thanks to
several hundred novenas (sorry, religion), a lot of threats (won't
swear) and a big push, he made it and promptly enlisted in the Maine
National Guard. He has spent this past year training in South Carolina
and San Antonio. He is a medic and despite our lack of hope for him
this time last year, we are beyond proud of him. Our two girls are in
high school and are 16 and 17. There is nothing more to be said because
you said I couldn't swear. Let's just say I am never surprised at the
sparks and flames flying out of their fingers as they text their friends
about how abhorrent I am because I made them unload the dishwasher. Or
I talked to them in public. Or I wore a turtleneck. I have committed a
million mother sins. I am biding my time, though, until they have kids
of their own.......my youngest, TJ, well everyone knows he's my
favorite. Because he still likes me.
My subject of the moment is my weekly pilgrimage to Boot Camp at 5:30am
at WCC. Right now I would be deleting this blog because I know I talk
about it ad nauseum.....but let me just say, the toning and fitness is a
bonus....but the REAL REASON I go is because of the incredible
instructor and women who drag their derriere's out of bed at 4:45am
three days a week and take an hour for themselves. You are one of the
rockstars, too, Jo.   [ :) ]
I started going about a year ago when I found myself looking forward to
'hot fudge sundae dinner!' and shopping up a size. I had no energy and
I figured I would just become a pudgy little Italian nonna. But I don't
cook and I don't wear pudgy well....so I got up and went to a class one
night I think with Colleen, but I'm not sure anymore. It's a sweat
stained blur. I was kidding myself - put on leggings, one of Jeff's tee
shirts and my 10 year old sneakers. Fixed my make up....no water, out
the door I went....heck I had four kids, how hard could this be. Within
15 minutes I was on my knees drenched in sweat and asking for divine
salvation to take me right then and there. And that was only the warm
up. I got through the workout hour with the rest of the women, one of
my friends having an asthma attack, the other crying into the
mats....and I left glaring at Lisa Petrucelli, the instructor (whom I
have come to idolize and adore), when she said to me in passing, "That
was ok, but I expect 3 full push ups Thursday." I got into my car,
aimed it for home and prayed there would be ample Tylenol, red wine and
hot water for a bath when I got home.
The next day I couldn't move. The day after that was Thursday. I
thought I could do three pushups and show that Petrucelli girl who was
boss. I finished 1.5 pushups. Looks like I needed to go back. And I
have, ever since. And now maybe I can do 12 pushups on a good day but
I'm surrounded by women like Barb "SunnyB" Sawyer who cranks out 20 and
yells at me that I can do 15.....Paula Green who, when we're lagging
behind Lynn "Flash" Aceto, wheezes, "I think we can catch her, Maria!"
and means it...and when I see Melissa Foye, wincing but pressing on,
nothing but hero status for her. Justine Post whips around the gym and
encourages everyone and our coach, friend and mentor Lisa Petrucelli
reminds us that we are athletes and to expect no less of ourselves. She
is a constant source of support, praise and extra push. So in a
nutshell, this is my soul lifeline. It's great my heart is all pumping
nice and my blood is a pretty shade of crimson, but my soul is lifted
and reinforced by the goodness of these women who I love and am honored
to call friends.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...