Monday, September 30, 2013

Cats. A Maine Photographer

I haven't blog about Cats lately, so I thought it might me a good time.
Since I have become a photographer, and a small business owner, I do try and stick to a few golden unwritten rules that I've learned over these few years.

Try and support the little guys when possible and find a way to give back to the community.

I've been photographing the cats at the local shelter for three and a half years now.  Every Monday, 52 weeks a year...and if I can't make it in on a Monday, then I go in on another day.  This is my way of giving back to the community...and yes, I do enjoy it too!

...But...every once in a while...usually when I am swamped to my eyeballs with "paying" work...it's easy to start second guessing my good deeds...and even occasionally feel a bit unappreciated...and once my husband starts feeling a bit neglected he too usually chimes in with a "something needs to give" and the unspoken words often times leaves me playing a mental tennis match in my head...can I continue to give my time so freely week after week?  So far the silent answer bounced back at me is always "Yes"!

I need to admit out loud here that I too benefit from my work photographing the cats.  It's weekly practice.  It's unspoken opportunity to learn.  It's meeting new people and getting my business exposure...and I must also add...for me...kinda like therapy.  I can photograph cats till the cows come home and they never give me negative attitude.

So now I must add, that recently I was going through one of those unappreciated phases.  Not uncommon when one does something week after week, month after month, year after year...it sort of becomes a given, an expectation.  I believed I had become just that...an expectation.

Then, I received a housewarming gift from the shelter.  A cat clock.  One I had admired in one of the offices.  I think it is very appropriate.  It is a gift, but it's a great reminder of what I give to the shelter week after week.  Time.

I appreciated the gift...but more so...the words on the card that accompanied the gift.
"Joanne,
Thank you for your love and commitment to our animals.  Your photography has saved hundreds of cats lives.  We could not do this without you!  Congratulations on your new home.  We hope this gift will always remind you of our love for you!"

I'm keeping that card forever...and I will read it whenever I am feeling overwhelmed and underappreciated...and I will always see the gift of TIME when I look at my Kitty clock!

and some real cats too, and lastly a link to a slideshow I made from this past weekends Paws in the Park annual fundraiser...another one of my time and talent donations. :)










No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...