Monday, January 14, 2013

Digital Photography 101 Westbrook ME Part One

OK, so I promised to share here on my blog what I was covering in my digital photography class that I am teaching for 6 evenings this month.  My class started last week, I have 15 students!!  Wow...I'm not lying when I say I was both excited and nervous!  So, here's what I covered.

The exposure triangle.  Before you take your camera off of the auto mode, it's important to understand the exposure triangle, and how aperture, shutter, and ISO all work together.  We talked about how important it is to go through your camera manuals to learn how to adjust these elements.  15 students, all with different cameras, and varying knowledge of their cameras chews up an hour and a half pretty quickly...so if you wanted to be there but couldn't, I can share a link with you that will cover what we learned in week one.  You need to be sure to dig out your own camera manual and learn how to change the settings...then follow this link and learn all about the exposure triangle.  Also, I love DPS, (Digital Photography School) which is where this link is hosted.  I highly encourage you to sign up to receive their weekly emails if you desire to learn more about photography.  Lots of information right at your fingertips.  You can even read the forums, where people share their opinions.  It's easy to get bogged down in the forums.  I keep reminding myself to keep an open mind...there are some people who are not shy about sharing their opinions...and that doesn't mean you need to agree...use them for learning and be smart enough to not take any of the info personally. 

So without further delay, here's the link.  I challenge you to learn something new today!
http://digital-photography-school.com/learning-exposure-in-digital-photography

And, because I like to call this my "photo blog", I'm including a photo below, utilizing the exposure triangle.  This photo was taken, of the moon, in Naples FL, just a few weeks ago.  In order to get the details of the palm tree, I wanted a small aperture, I needed more light because it was dusk so I used an ISO of 800, and I needed a tripod and slow shutter speed of 1/1.6 of a second to let in more light with the small aperture.  It's not perfect, the night was overcast, but one of my photographic goals of this vacation was to get the moon and a palm tree in the same shot.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...