Monday, January 21, 2013

Digital Photography 101 2nd Class Westbrook ME

Life is busy!  Life is good!  On a personal note, if you are a regular reader, you may recall I packed up my studio last November.  Since 50% of the work I do is on location, and the other 50% is from my laptop on my kitchen table, there really hasn't been a big change here that affects my photography business.  I am a bit inconvenienced that my "supplies" are scattered around the house a bit more, but in general it's business as usual.  In addition, I did purchase a new laptop last summer, with a bit more "cutting edge" photography software with the hopes that in the "slow" winter months I would be jumping on the learning curve in front of me and getting "smarter"...
...but with every good plan there comes a curve...in this case it is not a learning curve.  The reason I packed up my studio was so that we could turn that side of our house back into an income apartment, like it used to be...before it became my studio.  We've decided to buy a house...and to make all the numbers work better in the future...one of the options was to get some income coming in.  I'm probably repeating myself here, but to say I stretch myself in November and December is an understatement...and in addition to the usual caos of those months came lots of packing and remodeling.  Hubby is doing most of the remodeling...I'm just doing a lot of packing.  Just how much of my belongings gravitated to the other side of my house in 5+ years...?!

So, I'm happy to report that the light at the end of "this" remodel-packing phase is very visible.  We have a tenant all set to move in February 1st, and we will now begin the next phase of the curve which includes house hunting for a home and a studio space.  So where does that leave me with my new laptop and cutting edge photography software and personal learning curve?  Right here...at the kitchen table...for the time being anyways.

Now, to update you on what we covered in Digital Photography 101 during class 2.
We reviewed the exposure triangle.  We learned about some composition "rules" when photographing landscapes, and we learned about white balance.  I've copied and pasted some links on these topics from one of my favorite sites, Digital Photography School.  Here are two of the links, and a paragraph that I copied and pasted from the email I sent my students.


In addition, if you do get an opportunity to go and shoot outside in the snow on Tuesday, keep in mind that all of the white will fool with your settings! You may want to try taking some photos on auto, on aperture, and then on manual...because aperture is "semi-auto" the camera still picks the shutter for you...and your camera will be fooled by all of the snow and all of the light. Try it if you get a chance, and we can talk about it on Thursday.

Also, here is another DPS link, this one is about adjusting your white balance when photographing in the snow.

 
Learning when and how to adjust your white balance will change the way your photos look.  Here are a couple of samples.  Let me add, that your camera may give you many different options for fluorescent lighting...all of which may seem like a different language.  It's OK to play with these and pick what you like best.  In my first photo, I had my camera set to fluorescent #4.  I think it was still quite "blue" so I played with it a bit on my computer to "warm" it up.  Same with the last photo...taken on an "auto" white balance...still kinda "blue"...the snow photo at the beginning of this post is edited.
 
  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...