Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Cell Phone Photo Tips, Shooting in the Sun by A Maine Photographer

I have become a cell phone photographer!
There is a saying out there...something about the best camera is the one you have with you...
Well I have taken that saying literally.
I'm also a Creative Memories consultant, (for 21+ years) and have an absolute PASSION for printed photos.  (YES!  I am happy to get you working with yours too  please just ask!! or visit my Creative Memories website)
So, the cell phone photographer thing has been happening little by little.
Last year I needed to replace my phone, and my number one priority was that it needed to have a good camera in it...cause I LOVE to document everyday Minor Moments!

Please don't jump to conclusions at this part, money always plays an important role in my decisions, I do not have an endless supply of it and a new phone wasn't an exception to this rule.  Even my "professional" DSLR camera (digital single-lens reflex) is not considered "professional" in the world of my peers...that reminds me of a story my Dad shared with me once...he was at an auction and the bidding item was a beat up old violin...the auctioneer couldn't get any bids started...until someone got up, took it from him and started fiddling on it...and this individual was GOOD...and the bidding started and just kept going up...something that "looked" old and ugly and worn...wasn't wanted by anyone until proven that it wasn't as it appeared.  The equipment I work with is never top dollar and never the newest...fyi...(with that said it might be time for me to get another DSLR...:)

So, as you suspect, digital cameras and phones get better and better with each newer model, so getting something new will most likely be better already...it doesn't mean it needs to be the newest and most expensive one...in fact...I chose the Google pixel 3a, which was released 6 months after the Google    pixel 3 was released, with all of the bugs fixed, the exact same camera, and the price was half of it's predecessor!  

BUT, that's not what this blog post is about...I just figured you would all want to know what cell phone camera I use so I shared that with you.  What of course is more important than what you have, it's how you use it...so today's lesson is shooting into the sun.

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS ARE STRAIGHT OUT OF MY CELLPHONE CAMERA WITH NO EDITING ENHANCEMENTS.

We all know that "old saying" when photographing something in the sun, shoot with the sun to your back.  So here is my sample of what happens.
😎

 
EVEN my dogs can't open their eyes cause the sun is too bright!!  Not to even mention my husbands shadow holding a doggy cookie over my head shadow 😂 seriously, there is NOTHING attractive about this photo except to the imagination!

So, how can you make this photo better?  You can turn your subject around and get on the other side of them...

 
...this at least stopped the squinting and eliminated the photographers' shadows...but I'm shooting down on them, to hide the bright backdrop of the sun behind them...and it's not really the shot I was looking for...

But, can we do better?   Absolutely...
TURN ON YOUR FLASH and get down even with your subjects when shooting something in front of the sun...


But this still wasn't what I consider the best I could do...so we continued our walk...and about 20 minutes later we came to a beautiful spot, where these beautiful clover flowers were in multitudes and the harsh bright sunshine was nowhere to be found...

...and I got my shot!


YES.  I.  DID.  !

Please try shooting into the sun with your cellphone camera and share it on my Minor Moments Photography facebook page!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...